Thursday, July 30, 2009

My Speech for the September 12th Tea Party

While reading about the September 12 Tea Party slated for Washington D.C. a speech for that event came to me. However, I am not a speaker for that event, or any other for that matter, so I decided to post my "speech" here so that it could have some outreach:

Greetings fellow Americans.

My name is Aaron. Aside from our individual characteristics, I am very much like all of you. I work for a living. My wife, three kids, and I live on my salary. I am a home owner. I worked through college; I’ve worked since I was 16. I was raised the majority of my childhood, ages 2 through 15, by my amazing single mom who was left to bring up my sister and I after my father died from cancer. I have owned my own business; worked for small, private businesses; and for large Fortune 100 companies. Everything I have attained in life I have worked for and I owe those gains to the effort I have put forth. I also pay my taxes.

It wasn’t very long ago that I thought most of the politicians in Washington D.C. were lawyers. It seemed to fit: no offense to the attorneys in the audience, but they’re full of themselves, they make personal gains off the suffering of others, and they can’t write a bill without drowning it in reams of legalese. But I was mistaken…I have since learned that most politicians are actually comedians except, of course, Senator Franken who could never make it as a comedian…he’s just not funny.

They really are excellent comedians. Somehow they manage to deliver their punch lines without cracking a smile or writhing on the floor in gut-wrenching laughter. at their own jokes Maybe you remember some of their recent performances? They told us they would pass a massive $1.5 Trillion health care bill that wouldn’t increase the deficit! (Even as Medicare and Medicaid already have a $58 Trillion unfunded liability.) They’ve said we should blame capitalism with its evil, profiteering insurance companies and medical providers for the high cost of medicine in this country – even though Medicare is the biggest single payer of medical costs and has been setting doctor’s rates for decades. They said, “We can fix this ailing economy!” Yet unemployment continues to rise while their “solution” requires massive new deficits, a huge future tax liability for our grandchildren, and takes money out of our economy through higher taxes and inflation. They said we’re going to fix global warming, just let us tax you to death and cause your food and energy prices to “necessarily skyrocket.”

But the biggest joke of all: they think government exists to fix all our problems. Politicians have made massive expansions in government since the beginning of the 20th century with the Progressive movement. Each year government gets bigger and more intrusive; but when our economy falters they blame capitalism because, to them, it couldn’t possibly be the fault of massive, meddling government they have built. However, it turns out that we are not laughing because they are not funny.

An example from home illustrates the reasons why their jokes are falling flat. Just a block from where I work a brand new building stands incomplete. It is supposed to be the new home of the United States Olympic Committee, but a few months ago the USOC pulled the plug on the project. It doesn’t mean they have given up on the project; in fact, they are renegotiating. The problem is that the city didn’t live up to its end of the bargain – the city is in breach of contract.

Ladies and Gentlemen, that is why we are here today: our government is in breach of its contract!

Maybe you’re familiar with that contract? It’s the one that starts, “We the People…” That’s the first thing the politicians forget: our government is granted its rights by the people, not the other way around. Our founding fathers, the original Tea Partiers, understood that fundamental rights are bestowed on us by our Creator, not by our government. On July 4th, 1776 they declared such when we separated from a government that believed rights were only bestowed upon a monarch who then, at his or her mercy, granted limited rights to the commoners (I believe President Obama calls them "Ordinary People") through a government of his or her choosing. When our government’s contract was ratified, by THE PEOPLE, it gave our government the authority to PROTECT OUR RIGHTS. It was intended to be a limited government because the authors, and citizens, knew first hand of the perils brought by an over-reaching, self-empowered government. In fact, our forefathers repeatedly warned us of the temptations to expand government and the inevitable folly of so doing.

We now bear witness to the destructiveness foreshadowed over 200 years ago. The leader of our government is a pontiff hell-bent on the destruction of our liberties under the auspices of “equality.” He laments that our constitution is a negative contract, describing what our government cannot do, “not what is should or must do.” He, and most members of our legislative body, either do not understand or are too predisposed with expanding their own powers to realize that WE THE PEOPLE don’t want a limitless government. As President Ford said, “A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.”

Our government does not owe us every social welfare at the great expense of future generations – we owe it to ourselves. WE THE PEOPLE want our government to uphold the terms of its contract, the terms that propelled this nation to greatness – the terms born out of a desire to create a government FOR the people, not from a blind ideology of mythical and unattainable utopianism.

Today WE THE PEOPLE are issuing the final ultimatum: conform to the terms of our constitution or we will bring forth signatures calling for the immediate resignation or impeachment of every politician who stands in breach. It is time to restore what made this country great; we will no longer stand idle while our constitution is trampled and our children’s futures are compromised.

2 comments:

  1. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Patricia

    http://dataentryjob-s.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Patricia. I'm glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete